Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Socks for Kim

Being an excellent sister-in-law, I am making a pair of socks for my brother Mark's wife Kim. She already has one pair of inside-out socks which you can check out on Ravelry, but this pair I wanted to be more special.


As of today I have tried 3 different socks using this beautiful yarn. It's spectacular, Blue Moon Fiber Arts, Socks that Rock Medium weight in Azure Malachite. It's like the Caribbean Sea and I think she will love them. BUT not like they are above.

I have had a few setbacks. The first sock was the Monkey, and I did it on size 3mm needles, and was too loose and looked terrible. I then moved to size 2.5mm needles and started the second sock Spring Forward, but that really needed the lightweight yarn from Blue Moon and after casting on and making the cuff with the wrong number of stitches, and then attempting again to make it toe up with no success. The size was too big, and the 2.5mm was really too tight. I was discouraged. Insult was added to injury when the needle tip of my brand new 2.5mm Knit Picks needles slid off it's cable. I have only finished one sock with this needle...

So here I am. Her birthday is on the 14th. And I have the above jumbled pile of yarn.

After and extensive search on Ravelry, I found Fawkes! Cool socks, she loves Harry Potter, the gauge is right, AND most excitedly I found some double pointed needles in 2.75mm.

Executing the tubular cast-on for the third time in as many nights, I got this


This is the best my sock has looked yet. I am excited and I am continuing to knit!



After continuing I am now finished with the cuff and beginning with the pattern of the leg. I feel so much better about this sock, and hope that it turns out to be the winner.

No comments: