Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Circle Quilt

I'm that person that "plans to plan" and when I used to be employed took full advantage of "pre-meetings", you know the meeting before the meeting... Anyway it's all ridiculous and I clearly have control issues.  So when I'm quilting it involves lots of graph paper, and markers and thinking and calculations scribbled everywhere.  I do 10 iterations.  I tell myself it's because I really can't waste fabric, and I need to make it perfect the first time, or that because I get everything done when the baby is sleeping, by having a clear plan I can work very quickly when the time comes, but in reality it's more that I enjoy it.  I consider quilting to be my art form, and art is supposed to test boundaries and stretch the artist as well. 

This time around.  I just cut out a bunch of circles. We'll see where this goes.  It was first going to be the Bijou Lovely quilt, but now... I want to see what I can do w/o all the planning, or someone else telling me what to do.

I started with a charm pack of "Just Wing It" by MoMo and attached it to interfacing

then cut out 42 circles.  The circle cutter thingy was really awesome. 

They look cool arranged like this:

But I want to try something a bit more original.  So i'm going with a different pattern.  Needless to say this is my first attempt at applique, and I'm SLOW.  Putting each of this on a square of fabric will take some time.  I also need to consider the quilting phase before the assembly phase... again I'm trying to not over-plan this quilt in an attempt to make something fresh and different.

This might take some time...  Stay tuned!

No comments: