Saturday, July 9, 2011

Farmer's Wife Quilt Along!

I'm hooked!!  - but we'll get to that in a min.. :)

This is what happened.... I haven't posted in awhile, mainly because there was nothing to post!

I visited my folks in upstate NY, and I sucessfully got my Mom interested in quilting!! YAY! We worked on the Swoon quilt, using Picnics and Fairgrounds from Joann and Kona Bone.  It is AMAZING looking.  Together we did six squares in two days!!  (while watching a 10 month old who can walk)  My Mom then finished the final three squares all by herself!! Her first quilting project and she made the most perfect 24.5" squares full of HST's and the like.  She is now working on the back and it looks great!  I am visiting again in July and will take lots of pics and post it up.  My Mom is a retired geometry teacher who knows how to sew quite well, so it's not too surprising she took to quilting like a duck in water.

When I got home, I was officially bored of Swoon blocks and decided to get going on a picnic quilt for the family, made from Hoopla by Moda.  It's super fun colorful fabric.  I got some coordinating solids, and I tried.. I did.  But I got what I now know is a "complex migraine" during the layout of it, basically I felt really crappy and it all culminated with me having what seemed like stroke like symptoms and going to the hospital (in an ambulance)... to be told that I was having a "bad headache", BUT did the right thing... a novice cannot tell the difference...  whatever.  I am totally fine, I have medicine and LOTS of tests ahead of me, but needless to say that specific quilt is on the back burner because it just has bad memories.

So I have this beautiful fabric, some (well alot) of which was purchased while on pain meds :)
Fabric looks SOOOO good when it's put in rainbow order
 I have been following the Farmer's Wife Quilt Along from the beginning, and I was afraid at first.  I am a very very novice quilter, I have only finished a few quilts, and while I have mastered the HST... I am not stellar at accurate cutting or sewing.  But, I decided this would be the perfect opportunity to indulge my short attention span and make a whole bunch of blocks only one time.  (Well, and a few twice if i really go for the gold to make a king sized quilt for my bed)

The are on week 6 now, so the first 12 squares are done.  I figured by NEXT Saturday I could have the 14 done that would get me up to speed.  Little did I know these blocks are RIDICULOUSLY FUN!!


Week 1

Week 2

Week 3

Week 4

Week 5

Week 6

I am all caught up! Hooray!  Flickr here I come!! 

I have to say after Swoon blocks which are enormous, these little tiny things are so cute! Such a blast!  Hopefully the colors will make some sort of sense when i'm done :)  But I am not even 10% finished!! It's WAY too early to tell.

No comments: